What we do
Our Mission and Core Values
Family House serves as a home away from home for families of children with cancer and other life-threatening illnesses by providing physical comfort and emotional support, free from financial concerns.
- Compassion Support for families who endure the most trying experience of their lives is central to our mission
- Sanctuary Providing a safe, comfortable, worry-free living environment enables families to focus on their healing
- Family Providing an environment where families naturally connect and find hope, comfort, and healing within each other
- Care Affordability is not a factor for parents looking for world class care for their child’s life-threatening illness
- Community Providing opportunities for 5,000 volunteers annually to make an impact on the lives of our families
Founded in 1981, Family House is a 501(c) (3) not-for-profit organization providing temporary housing to families of seriously ill children receiving treatment at the University of California San Francisco Benioff Children’s Hospital. Qualifying families live more than 50 miles from UCSF, and many live at or below the low-income status as determined by UCSF. Our location sustains nearly a 100% occupancy rate and can accommodate 250 people per night. Over the course of a year we serve more than 4,000 families.
Working in conjunction with UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital, we strive to provide family-centered care for patient families. Pediatric social workers refer all patient families to Family House. While children undergoing bone marrow transplants, chemotherapy, and radiation are our most common guests, we also accommodate those facing other life-threatening childhood illness such as fetal surgery, transplants, and cardiac patients when space is available.
Family House is more than just a place to stay – it’s a home away from home, and a supportive community of people who are dedicated to providing a caring environment for the entire family while their child is undergoing treatment.
- Take a Virtual Tour of the Nancy and Stephen Grand Family House at Mission Bay, a LEED Certified Platinum Facility
- Watch Family House Family Stories videos on YouTube
- Learn about Fozzy’s Toy Room
- Rock Band Train + Save Me, San Francisco Wine Co Help Family House
- History of Family House
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Fostering a community where everyone can connect, belong, and grow.
At Family House, we embrace the diverse backgrounds, cultures and experiences of every person that walks through our doors. We are committed to building an inclusive community, nurturing a culture that is welcoming and supportive, and engaging in dialogue that deepens our understanding of each other and our roles in strengthening our home and life for all.
Family House is an independent organization led by a professional staff and board of directors dedicated to providing residential services free-of-charge to qualifying families. Since we receive no financial support from UCSF, or any other public entity, we rely solely on the generous contributions of individuals, corporations and foundations. Click to view Audited Final Financial Statement for Family House and Its Affiliates. Click to view the IRS Form 990 for Family House, Inc., Family House Foundation, Inc., Family House Mission Bay, Inc. For more information, please contact Chief Financial Officer, Jessica Creager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stay at Family House
If your child is undergoing treatment at the UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital and you need a place to stay, please speak with your UCSF social worker. All Family House guest referrals come through the hospital.
Healthcare Hospitality Network – Certified Hospitality House
Family House is a Heathcare Hospitality Network Certified Hospitality House, signifying a commitment to professional excellence.